Melasma & Its Treatment
Melasma is condition in which the dark brown to black colour patches present over the face.It is common condition in tropical region including india.Its Incidence is 1.5% to 33% .Commonly occur in females than males.It is seen in adult hood.It is a frustrating skin disorder with psychological impact.
Common cause of
genetic, familial , drug induced, sun exposure, stress induced & due to hormonal imbalance.
Morphology includes dark brown to black color pigmentation present over cheecks, nose, sometimes mandibles.
Treatments includes :
• proper sun protection which include application of sunscreen, covering by cloths like scrafs, hats.
• topical medications likes creams & gels,
it requires long time to reduce pigmentation. ex. Hydroquinine, azelic acid,
glycolic acid, kojic acid .
• chemical peels it helps out exfoliation of the skin reduce the melanin pigmentation,
photo damage skin increased collagen synthesis. Increase the texture of the skin.
Ex. Glycolic acid peels , arginine peel, kojic acid peel,lactic acid,
• combination of different treatments will help in treatment of melasma.
• lasers such as IPL, ERBIUM YAG, ND-YAG helps in reduction of melasma.
Multispeciality Hardikar Hospital
, we have all such treatments to manage
the melasma& pigmentation.